What is Apple Business Manager?
Apple Business Manager is a simple, web-based portal for IT administrators to automate device deployment, purchase and distribute content, and manage roles in an organisation. Working seamlessly with Jamf, Apple Business Manager makes it easy to enrol devices, deploy content and delegate administrative privileges. The Apple Device Enrolment Programme (DEP) and Apps and Books (formally The Volume Purchase Programme – “VPP”) are now integrated into Apple Business Manager, so IT can bring together everything needed to deploy iOS devices, Mac computers and Apple TV.
The consolidation of the device enrolment and volume purchase programmes into Apple Business Manager have made it easier for customers in the following three key areas:
Device enrolment provides a fast, streamlined way to deploy corporate-owned Apple devices.
- Automatically enrol devices in MDM to get users up and running quickly.
- Simplify the setup process for users by removing specific steps in Setup Assistant.
- Easily manage default MDM servers by setting a default server that’s based on device type.
The Apps and Books section enables organisations to easily buy content in volume.
- Purchase and distribute apps and books in bulk and manage licences for users via MDM.
- Distribute apps and books directly to managed devices or authorised users, and easily keep track of assigned content.
- Control the entire distribution process, while retaining full ownership of apps.
- Distribute apps to devices or users in any country where the app is available for multinational distribution.
Organisations can create Managed Apple IDs for IT staff to manage device enrolment and content purchasing within Apple Business Manager.
- Define roles for delegating administrative privileges and responsibilities to manage devices, users and content across locations.
- Add additional accounts and easily transfer responsibility if someone leaves the organisation.
- Easily deactivate and delete user accounts.
Summary of the benefits of Apple Business Manager
- Centralised portal to manage device deployment, purchase and distribute content, and manage roles in the organisation.
- Enables zero-touch configuration for IT.
- Provides streamlined, customisable setup.
- Enables mandatory and non-removable MDM enrolment.
- Allows iOS supervision to enable capabilities like clearing Activation Lock or managing additional settings.
How Device Enrolment Works
An MDM service (Jamf) is used to manage iPad, iPhone and Mac. Without automated device enrolment, each device must be enrolled in MDM manually which can be time consuming and impractical especially with large estates.
Apple Business Manager’s cloud-based device enrolment service lets you automatically enrol devices in MDM from the point of order – within Apple Business Manager, you can even create departments within your organisation and use different MDM’s for each if you so wish.
Once this is done, any Apple device you purchase and enrol in the DEP automatically calls back to Apple’s DEP servers the first time it is switched on (after asking for language preference and to be connected to the internet). From there, Apple Business Manager recognises the device and passes the appropriate MDM profile to it... after which, the MDM takes over and automatically provisions the device. Magic!
Getting this process right means that any user in your organisation can ultimately have a brand new device (still in the shrink wrap!) delivered to them anywhere in the world and automatically provision it themselves to your specification with no IT knowledge whatsoever required.